The Green and Healthy Futures Programme is funded through the National Lottery’s Climate Action Fund. The project is a collaboration between Frome Town Council and lead partner Edventure, and Frome Medical Practice.
The premise is that Healthier people make a healthier planet, and a healthier planet supports healthier people. The programme will tell a new story that engages people who would not normally get involved for climate reasons alone. Alongside storytelling and community development activities the project will deliver a catalogue of community-led climate and health initiatives that can work sustainably in Frome.
Seven work packages will be delivered over two years; each work package will produce a toolkit to enable ideas to be shared and replicated in other towns. If you have your own ideas that can deliver a climate/health win/win add it our vision board: https://yrpri.org/group/4935
Healthy Homes & Cycle Together
Green Community Connectors
Building on their award winning health connector programme, Frome Medical Practice have employed Charlotte Carson as their Green Health Connector who will:
- Train 200 green community connectors and 20 “Train the Trainers”. The connectors will pass on information to residents, friends and colleagues to link them with local climate and health boosting activities. To find out about this training visit Green Community Connectors
- Educate the GP practice staff and Health Connections team on local climate and health boosting activities
- Support the Healthy Homes by Prescription project and the Cycling by Prescription programme
Est. CO2 savings: 261 tonnes per year
Frome Medical Practice will:
- Develop resources to support clinical staff, patients and the public to make better informed health decisions, reducing the amount and impact of pharmaceutical drugs prescribed
- Link in with an array of low carbon, healthy activities such as our cycling by prescription project
- Empower the community to take action to improve their health in a low carbon way
- Share the impact of the programme with other practices and communities.
Future Shed is a space where the people of Frome come together to create a greener and healthier town in practical ways – join a workshop activity, contribute your ideas or get support to get your own project off the ground.
Edventure will be sharing the projects and the story of how healthy people and a healthy planet are interlinked, and how people and communities can take the lead.
- Their communications will encourage people to take up behaviours that are good for their health and enable carbon reduction. Develop narratives that engage Frome’s diverse community, particularly people who would not normally be involved for climate reasons alone. There will be a structured approach to develop storytelling, including working with focus groups
- A new annual conference will bring all stakeholders in the Frome 2030 programme together, share what’s been learnt during the year and learn from others who are doing or want to be doing similar activities
- A website will be created and a catalogue of resources to share learning, to inspire and enable a carbon and health community of practice.
Frome Town Council will employ an inhouse climate change and evaluation expert to:
- Measure the environmental, health and community impact of our Climate Action Fund projects
- Work with all projects to provide guidance around maximising impact
- Work closely with the Climate Action Fund and other funded projects to share best practice.
The evaluation work will be reviewed by an external expert to ensure it is robust, verified and truly reflects the programme’s impact.