Home > News > News > Holding a street party to celebrate the Coronation? You might need a road closure

Holding a street party to celebrate the Coronation? You might need a road closure

With details of the Coronation recently announced and the Big Lunch planned for Sunday 7th May, residents are reminded that should they wish to close their road for a street party they will need to apply to Mendip District Council.

Mendip requires 6 weeks to process road closure applications for street parties on no-through roads such as cul-de-sacs, and 12 weeks for road closures for special events. This means that time is running out for planned celebrations in early May, with the cut off on Friday 10th February.

Cllr Anita Collier said: “From a cup of tea with a neighbour to a street party, a Coronation Big Lunch brings the celebrations to your neighbourhood and is a great way to get to know your community a little better.”

“Thousands of events are expected to take part across the country this May as people take to their streets, gardens, parks and community spaces to join the Coronation celebrations, and we expect to see lots in Frome!

Cllr Collier continued: “Applying for a road closure may seem daunting the first time round but we have a heap of useful information and advice on the Frome Town Council website to help you.”

You can find all the information you need regarding event planning and road closures on our website. Should you have any questions regarding applying for a road closure, email FTC’s Project Officer Hannah Stopford who will be able to assist.

For more information and to get a pack visit the Coronation Big Lunch website.

7 February 2023
Last Updated
7 February 2023
Published in