Applying to close a road

Depending on why you’re closing the road or street you may need to ask permission from different authorities. Somerset Highways for road closures for work, and Mendip District Council for an event. 

Somerset County Council manages road closures under the Road Traffic Regulation Act.

To apply to close a road or right of way, go to the County Council’s page and download their application form under ‘Information and Resources’ at the bottom of their webpage. There are usually costs involved in closing a road – more details can also be found on their page.

All applications received by Somerset County Council will be checked and approved or declined by this authority. You will be written to with their decision as to whether or not you have been successful in your road closure application.

For more information you can write to or visit:


Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 4DY
Telephone: 0300 123 2224
Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm, Sunday closed.
Streetworks opening hours: Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

Road Closures for Special Events

Road Closures for special events are provided under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 Section 21. These events can vary in size from a small village fete to a large carnival, festival or procession.

In order to hold an event on a public highway a Road Closure Order is required which enables the named signatory to close the named roads for a stated time. This process takes 12 weeks so applicants should ensure their completed application form and supporting information is received at the Council offices in good time.

Every application for a road closure should be sent to Mendip District Council (Road Closures), Council Offices, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, BA4 5BT and must include the following:

  • A map showing the road(s) that you wish to close. The map should also be used to indicate the signage that you intend to use (including the position of the signage), the position of all of your marshals and the location of your first aid support.
  • A copy of the public liability insurance (minimum £5million) that covers that event.
  • A list of contact details for those who hold positions of responsibility within the event organising committee – these details may be made available to any member of public who makes an enquiry with regards to the event.
  • A copy of the full risk assessment for the event. This does not have to be submitted with the application form but must be received before a road closure order will be granted.
  • A copy of the letter sent to all businesses that will be affected by the road closure for your event. We also require a copy of the list of businesses that you have contacted. Download an application form from

Last updated April 2020.