Home > Your Council > Somerset Council > Applying to close a road

Applying to close a road

road closed sign

Somerset Council manages road closures under the Road Traffic Regulation Act.

To apply to close a road or right of way, visit the Council’s Roads, Travel & Parking page. There are usually costs involved in closing a road – more details can also be found on their page.

All applications received by Somerset Council will be checked and approved or declined by this authority. You will be written to with their decision as to whether or not you have been successful in your road closure application.

If you would like to close a road for an event you will need to apply for a temporary Road Closure Order. You can find out more useful information on our Organising a community event or street party page.

For more information you can write to or visit:


Somerset Council, County Hall, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 4DY
Email: streetworks@somerset.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 123 2224
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm
Streetworks opening hours: Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

21 October 2015
Last Updated
11 April 2023