Event Management Brief
Frome Christmas Extravaganza 2015
Frome Town Council (FTC) has a long track record of putting on and managing events in the town centre but especially the Frome Christmas Extravaganza. In recent years, the Extravaganza has become more complex and demanding in terms of the health and safety requirements and the need to coordinate a wide range of participants. The last two Extravaganza events in 2013 (Jenson Button’s F1 car drive) and the 2014 ‘Edwardian Christmas’ featuring the Invisible Circus and Flame Oz have also raised expectations in terms of the level of excitement and quality of entertainment laid on. It has been necessary to raise commercial sponsorship to put on the last two events for which particular skills and time input are required.
In these circumstances, FTC sees the need to enter into a contract with an organisation that has the track record in event management and the necessary skills and capacity to deliver this event in 2015.
Proposals are invited to deliver the following services:
Frome Christmas Extravaganza 2015
The event will take place on the evening of Friday 27 November 2015 in Frome Town Centre. It will involve the closure of the Market Place to through traffic (junction of Bath Street and Market Place to The Bridge) retaining vehicular access to Cork Street and Cattle Market Car Parks. It may involve the closure of Catherine Hill and Stony Street to through traffic to enable street entertainment and stalls to be provided in St. Catherine’s but that is subject to discussion about the details of the event with the appointed contractor.
The event will have the following components:
- The traditional Christmas tree light switch on in the Market Place
- Street entertainment and festive food stalls in the areas closed to traffic and lit by Christmas lighting
- A finale performance utilising the new performance area around Boyle Cross in the Market Place
The contractor will take responsibility for the following:
- Booking acts and stallholders
- Securing road closures under the Town Police Clauses Act and any necessary event licenses within the deadlines set by Mendip District Council
- Securing any necessary permissions from property owners
- Involving the community in the preparations for the event
- Event publicity and advanced road closure signage
- Booking and supervising stewards and road closure marshals
- Developing and implementing an Event Safety Management Plan including a risk management plan to be signed off by Frome Town Council, the emergency services, Somerset County Council and Mendip District Council
- Event management on the day
- Ensuring that the event areas are kept clean during the event and are restored to a clean condition
- Raising sponsorship to enable the event to be delivered
The appointed contractor will be responsible for paying all event-related fees.
Frome Town Council’s contribution
Depending on the level of sponsorship raised, Frome Town Council will make a financial contribution of a maximum of £12,000 towards the cost of putting on the event including the appointed contractor’s fees.
The Town Council may also supply staff to support event management on the day subject to negotiation. FTC will furnish the appointed contractor with previous event documentation.
Proposals should set out:
- A suggested theme for this year’s event and further details on how the required components will be delivered including how the contractor will involve the community
- Information on the contractor’s track record in event management
- Information on the capacity of the contractor to deliver this year’s event
to be sent to: Peter Wheelhouse, Economic Development and Regeneration Manager at email@example.com by Friday 20 February 2015.
Interviews with bidders for this contract will be held in the week beginning 23 February 2015.
Enquiries: Contact Peter Wheelhouse on 01373 475573