Home > News > COVID-19 > Coronavirus Frome FAQs

Coronavirus Frome FAQs

From Monday 19th July, most legal restrictions relating to Covid-19 will be lifted, but the risks of Covid-19 have not gone away. As cases rise here and across the country, please be cautious, not only for yourselves, but to protect our vulnerable residents and frontline workers.

It’s important that people think carefully about continuing to keep the all important two metre distance where possible. Additionally, another measure to protect more vulnerable members of our local communities, as well as workers in key services such as shops and pubs, we recommend continuing to wear a face covering in indoor spaces such as in shops, on public transport or in healthcare settings. Also remembering to continue to wash hands thoroughly and regularly, meeting up outside rather than inside, and, if you are inside, make sure you let the fresh air in by opening windows and doors.

Further information and guidance can be on the Government’s website.

Do I have to self isolate?

Yes, if you have symptoms please take a PCR test and isolate until you have received the results. Additionally, if you have been contacted by the Test and Trace team or the app you will need to self isolate.

On 16th August, the rules on self-isolating as a contact will change for people who are fully vaccinated, and for under 18s. Those not fully vaccinated will still need to isolate if they are contacted, and everyone will still have to isolate if they test positive, to protect themselves and others.

Where can I get the vaccine?

All adults have now been offered a first dose of the vaccine and it’s important that you get vaccinated to help protect yourself and others.

Walk in vaccination clinics are popping up around the county. If you need your first jab, or it’s been 8 weeks since your first dose, you can grab a jab at a local site. Find out all the details at the NHS Somerset website.

I have symptoms, can I book a test locally?

Previously, the main and most reported/recorded coronavirus symptoms were:

  • a high temperature
  • a new, continuous cough
  • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste

In confirmed cases of the Delta variant, the main and most reported/recorded symptoms are:

  • Headaches
  • Sore throat
  • Runny nose
  • Fever
  • Muscle aches
  • Tiredness and lethargy

To book a test please visit the Government’s covid test page.  As tests are currently in high demand, you may be allocated a home test or an alternative test centre further afield if there is no availability nearby.

When and where do I have to wear a mask?

It is no longer mandatory to wear a mask but it is advised and recommended on public transport and in shops to wear a mask for your own safety and the safety of others.

Is the Town Council still operating?

Yes, we are, the Town Hall has re-opened to the public and we would recommend still wearing a mask and following social distancing should you visit.

Where can I find a list of which local shops/bars/eateries are open or offering deliveries?

With the restrictions now eased most of our fantastic range of shops are now open, and many of them will still be offering online sales, local delivery, click and collect or telephone orders, take a look at our shopping guide.

If you’d like to support local businesses but still want your groceries delivered, look no further! There are a number of local, independent shops that offer deliveries and/or order & collect services – take a look at our local food delivery services page.

You can also find details of businesses that are delivering food and drink locally, those offering takeaways for collection in our Take Out to Help Out guide.

We’re regularly updating our directories on Discover Frome so please let us know if you are a business and would like us to include you in the listing.

Is Fair Frome still operating?

Yes, although opening hours and services may need to be altered. For up to date information please visit the Fair Frome website, call 01373 488578 or email info@fairfrome.

How can I help others?

Get to know your neighbours and offer help where needed. There are a number of local charities maybe looking for more help including Active and in Touch and Fair Frome. There is also an online register of volunteers that you can add yourself to here.

I have elderly relatives in Frome who may need help/support, but I’m too far away/in self-isolation, what help is available?

We are encouraging people to activate their support network in the first instance.  Local group Active and in Touch offer a befriending service and are also co-ordinating a volunteer matching service to shop on behalf of a resident should they not have a support network and are isolating.  Please send them an email to enquiries@activeandintouch.org with a name, contact information and a brief outline of the circumstances.  Health Connections Mendip are also available for more local advice

I’m unable to leave home/self-isolating, how can I get food/prescriptions?

We are encouraging all Frome residents to get to know their neighbours and be aware of anyone in their street who may need help. Making contact with somebody near by is your best source of support in the immediate future.  You may be able to  sign up for the online prescription service here, and over on Frome Community Drivers website you can find details of how they are helping with prescription delivery or call 07596 591391.

I’m worried about maintaining good mental health for me and my family during this time, where can I find support?

Somerset County Council have a Coronavirus helpline that is manned 8am to 6pm every day. If you are in need of any help or support please call them on 0300 790 6275 or visit their website. They also have lots of information to help you look after yourself and those around you.

There are a range of groups and charities who are able to offer remote services to help you. Visit our Advice & Support for families page for a list of organisations who can help with a range of issues for families and individuals.

I run an independent business, what help/support is available if I have to close?

We’ve put together some useful links for business owners to help you through this uncertain time.

Is the Citizen’s Advice open?

Following Government guidelines,  Citizens Advice Mendip’s offices are now closed for drop in sessions.
The team are still available to help over the phone, their advice line number is 0344 488 9623.  They are also offering an email advice via their website.

Will local public transport services continue to run as normal?

Some bus and train services may have been reduced. We’ll be updating our Public Transport page as and when we receive new information. You can also find regular updates on the Frome and Villages Bus Users website and GWR.com.

I am concerned about domestic violence

You are allowed to leave home if you are feeling unsafe during lockdown.  Those living with domestic abuse can also access safe spaces at Boots pharmacies.  Those needing help can ask staff at the counter to use the consultation room, where they will be able to contact services for help and advice.
SIDAS (Somerset Integrated Domestic Abuse Service) can support anyone effected by domestic violence.  Their number is 0800 69 49 999  and is available 8am – 8pm or email heretohelp@livewest.co.uk.  More information can be found on the SIDAS website.

We will keep these pages updated with where help is required and how you can get involved. Somerset County Council also has a Coronavirus latest updates page providing information from the county-wide services they run and support.

If you have a question that we may be able to help with please email info@frometowncouncil.gov.uk

17 March 2021
Last Updated
19 July 2021
Published in