The People’s Budget is about local people voting to make direct decisions about how local public budgets are spent. £10,000 of the Council’s 2018/2019 budget was made available for a project to be decided on by the Town Vote, with the voting open from April 4th 2018 to May 3rd 2018.
These projects were:
A Town Orchard
Scrumping to be encouraged! The orchard will look beautiful and provide food for humans and wildlife alike.
- It would comprise a large range of local varieties of fruit tree, seating areas and a central pergola or structure
- The orchard will provide free fruit for crumbles, pies, juices and ciders
- Trees and fruit are also good for local wildlife
- The orchard will also help to relieve drainage issues on the site and enhance biodiversity
- £10 K would provide a good size orchard and all the infrastructure to make an excellent community resource
A Dog Poo Powered Light
Aimed at encouraging all owners to pick up after their dog while highlighting the potential of alternative power
- The bio-digester uses dog poo in compostable bags to generate gas and light a methane powered street lamp
- It will incentivise people to pick up after their dogs and raises the profile of carbon free energy sources
- The lamp also produces liquid fertiliser
- 10 bags of poo can generate 2 hours of light
- £10 k covers unit (which could take 15kg of poo a day) and installation
A Giant Waterslide
This one day event would take over one of the hills in Frome. Lucky ticket winners will get soaked – guaranteed!
- A waterslide would be installed for a day on one of Frome’s hilly streets.
- Based on Luke Jerram’s ‘Park and Stride’ it allows people to reclaim the streets from cars for a day with a fun event
- Tickets to slide will be by ballot with up to 240 tickets being issued
- The event will be free and used to launch the You’re Welcome Scheme – combining the current community toilet scheme and a new water bottle refill scheme
The Town Orchard won with an overwhelming majority. The orchard will be delivered this year in consultation with an arborist.