Frome residents came together in the last few weeks of the campaign to Save Whatcombe Fields. Around 270 people pledged their support and a local educational trust put in the balance as a donation so that we can own the fields as a community.
Solicitors are now doing the searches and paperwork necessary before contracts can be exchanged and then a celebration can be planned!
Campaigner Anna Francis said “This is a unique chance for the local community to have a say in how these beautiful fields are run. We will be focusing on creating new meadow lands and a space for nature and people to enjoy, now and forever. I’d also like to thank every single person who has been involved so far, from small donations to larger investments, we couldn’t do this without you!”
A full management plan is being written with the headlines aims being like this:
- Conserve nature and enhance biodiversity – through sustainable land management including habitat creation and tree planting (and continuing to involve animal grazing) – working with experts such as Simon King and Somerset Wildlife Trust
- Create new meadow land for all to enjoy
- Enable the community to input into the meadow’s future – through volunteering, events and inputting into meadow management plans and key decisions
- Provide play and education opportunities to encourage understanding and respect for nature and animals
- Ensure that the land is protected for community and wildlife to enjoy forever
Find Whatcombe Fields on Facebook, here.