Here are some of the activities we’ve been undertaking to reduce the impact of transport in Frome so far:
- We secured funding from the Department for Transport in 2014 to set up a community car club. Co-Wheels offer two efficient hybrid vehicles for affordable hire, enabling households to avoid the cost and hassle of running a second car
- We help to facilitate the Frome and Village Bus Users Group, promote bus use and also helped to support the set up of a weekly village to Frome bus service
- Working with the train operators to get better services for Frome
- Helped to secure Section 106 money to facilitate improvements at Frome Station. This includes better signage and an accessible bus stop
- We run the annual Frome School Active Travel Challenge.
- Secured funding to offer free and subsidised cycle classes and bike maintenance, in partnership with Sustainable Frome
- We secured free electric charge points for cars (and bikes) at the Town Hall, Football Club, Frome Medical Practice and Vallis Community Centre. Search for and view charging points on a map.
- Promoting lift-share and other carbon cutting transport methods
- We set up a volunteer driver scheme to enable people without easy access to transport to access the things they need – we always need more drivers, even an hour a month is a great help. Find out more on our Community Cars page.
- Provide information on public transport and can book coach travel at our information point at the town hall. Find out more on our transport page.
Response to Somerset Passenger Transport Strategy Sept 2018
Frome Town Council believes that Somerset’s Passenger Transport Strategy should look further ahead to 2050 to enable a more strategic and ambitious vision. As part of this it is important that Somerset investigates or commissions a more comprehensive survey of transport needs in each area to ensure that services can be developed in response. This will help rail and bus service providers to explore and introduce additional services.
Response to Rail Consultation February 2018
Frome Town Council worked with local rail experts to submit a response to the Department for Transport’s recent rail consultation which covers services to Frome. Our response calls for better, more regular services to the town.