The Somerset Retrofit Accelerator project is a partnership between Frome, Bruton and Glastonbury Town Councils, the four District Councils in Somerset, Somerset Independence Plus and the Centre for Sustainable Energy. The six-month pilot project is funded by the UK Government through the UK Community Renewal Fund.
The project aims to develop the supply chain for low carbon, whole house retrofit of homes in Somerset through:
- 50 discounted Home Retrofit plans for Somerset households in partnership with Futureproof
- 30 paid places on the Futureproof Essentials course for local construction professionals
- Creating new online resources through a Green Directory for Somerset
- Showcasing low carbon homes through virtual online tours
What is retrofit?
Retrofit is the process of making changes to an existing building to reduce energy consumption and emissions. Retrofit should also bring the benefit of a more comfortable and healthier home. Examples of retrofit measures include the installation loft or wall insulation, double or triple glazing.
How can you benefit from this project?
Discounted low carbon Retrofit Plans for Somerset households
Want to make your home a more comfortable and sustainable place to live, but don’t know where to start? There are up to 50 discounted Home Retrofit Plans available to households in Somerset through the Somerset Retrofit Accelerator project, starting from £50 for an introductory guide to retrofitting your home, and from £100 for a detailed survey and report. These plans will be based on your needs, aspirations for your homes and budget, and will help you understand what measures may be the most appropriate and impactful for your home.
Free Retrofit webinars
In June, the Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is running free webinars aimed at people thinking of taking on a domestic retrofit project but not sure where to start.
Each 90-minute webinar focusses on a different type of home, so attendees can find the one that suits them best. And they feature two home owners who will share stories of their retrofit, and a video where you can see the kit they installed in the homes themselves.
Experts from the Futureproof programme will be on hand, and there’ll be lots of time for questions.
First hand advice
Local residents have been telling their retrofit stories in a series of Youtube videos, and include first hand experience on everything from insulation to heat pumps.
Retrofit training for construction professionals
The Green Register is offering 30 fully funded retrofit training places for construction professionals based in Somerset as part of the Somerset Retrofit Accelerator project. Learners meeting the eligibility criteria will benefit from training with The Green Register’s online Futureproof Essentials training course, which provides cornerstone knowledge on the key aspects of sustainable construction and retrofit.
The Futureproof Essentials course is an online introductory training package designed to help learners to start to understand the Whole House Retrofit (WHR) approach. The following topics are included in the course:
- why building sustainably matters for our future
- standards and guidance available for assessing retrofit projects
- specifying low impact building materials
- minimising moisture movement in buildings
- optimising the efficiency of building services
- good practice solid wall insulation
- efficient use of water
- airtightness and ventilation strategies
Learners will benefit from certification from The Green Register and third-party NOCN One Award certification upon successful completion of the course.
To benefit from the free training offer, applicants must:
- Be a contractor, tradesperson, architect, surveyor, building control officer, builders’ merchant, planner, retrofit assessor or any other construction professional either in employment or not currently employed
- Have a registered business or home address in Somerset
The 30 training places are available on a first-come-first-serve basis to those meeting the eligibility requirements. Use the discount code: SRA22 to claim your free place.