Cutting costs and carbon
Here are some of the things we’re doing to help cut costs and carbon in Frome and to make the town more energy resilient:
- Working in partnership with CSE we have a team of energy volunteers who do regular advice sessions and can visit vulnerable homes to help them cut their energy costs
- We have use of a thermal imaging camera to pinpoint areas where local homes are leaking heat
- We work with FRECo and a team of energy specialists to support local schools to cut carbon and costs, engaging and empowering the students and staff to support this. We are currently working with Selwood Academy, Frome College and St Johns Primary School.
- We put solar panels on the Cheese and Grain saving 560 tonnes of carbon dioxide and are helping them switch to low energy LED lighting.
- We have worked with Fair Frome, Frome Renewable Energy Co-op and others to tackle fuel poverty, enabling 250 people to switch energy supplier and save on average over £200 a year.
- We helped to organise Frome Open Homes in 2015 to showcase ways to cut carbon and costs. The event was attended by over 300 people, 97% of whom said they found their visit inspiring and useful.
- We co-organise a yearly green event – One Planet Sunday which in October 2015 was attended by over 350 people.
- We are a founding member of FRECo who raised £300,000 in just five days through community shares in May 2015. They have now installed 200kw of solar on Frome Medical Practice and 50kw on Frome Football Club’s new community stand (which we also helped secure funding for).
- We are working with other partners to explore opportunities for hydro power along the river Frome and Anaerobic Digestion for local farms
- At the end of 2014 we won Most Proactive Public Sector Body in Regen South West’s Green Energy Awards and have been shortlisted as ‘Outstanding Project of the Year’ by the National Association of Local Councils for this work.