What are we doing in Frome?
What are we doing to support people to live healthy lifestyles in Frome? A ‘healthy lifestyle’ means different things to different people. For some it’s about eating well, for others it might be about trying to stop smoking. Some people like to be active, whether that means walking instead of taking the car, joining a gym or getting out in the garden digging!
There are many things we can do to be more healthy – being more active, not smoking, being careful how much alcohol we drink and eating a balanced diet for example. Here in Frome there are lots of things happening that can support people to try to be more healthy, in whichever ways they can. And as a Town Council we want to do what we can to help with this too.
Healthy Lifestyles in Frome
So we’ve decided on a number of things we will do this year to try and support people to be more healthy. Here’s what we are already doing or planning to do:
- We hold Mayhem in the Meadow – this annual event took place this year on Monday 7th May, in Rodden Meadow. Many families came along to this free event and enjoyed this beautiful outdoor space, taking part in the various fun and games that were on offer this year, including tree climbing, smoothie making, river dipping and story telling. Food was available too from the Fair Frome Wrap and Roll stall!
- We want to support people to be more physically active and one way of doing this is by encouraging people to move more by getting running. Four new running courses started in May 2018, for both beginners and those who already do some running – find out more here. These are being delivered in partnership with Run Leaders from DEKA Running. New courses will be shared as and when they are planned but look out in the late summer for news on this. In addition, Frome Medical Practice are also starting a new Couch to 5k course in May, aimed at people with anxiety or depression who are new to physical activity. More information on our running page.
- If you really don’t fancy trying running then we’ve a series of walks around the town that are a lovely way of getting out and about and enjoying the fresh air, whilst moving around more. You can find out about the walks here.
- We know that people like to cycle but that some people find Frome just too hilly to make this enjoyable! If this sounds like you then why not try the e-bikes that are available in Frome. During April and May you can hire these for just £2.50 for a half day or £5.00 for a full day. Have a go and see what you think! More information on this here.
- We’d love to encourage more people to use Frome’s outdoor gym equipment on the Old Showfield by providing drop in sessions where a physical activity instructor will be available to ‘show you how’ things work! Find out more here.
- We’re going to provide free tennis sessions over the Summer – again, check back here soon for more information on how to take part in these.
For more information on our work to promote healthy lifestyles in Frome please contact Nicola Cretney, Health and Wellbeing Manager.
Last updated on 15th May 2018